What does SFDC Stand for?
SFDC is the acronym of “Salesforce dot com”. You can call it SFDC, Salesforce, Salesforce CRM, No.#1 CRM in the world, All are the same.
Now that we are clear, these all terms refer to the same thing let us understand what exactly is Salesforce.
Salesforce.com, Inc. is an American cloud-based software company established by Marc Benioff headquartered in San Francisco, California. Its major revenue comes from its CRM (Customer relationship Management) )service. Salesforce also sells a complementary suite of enterprise applications focused on customer service, marketing automation, analytics, and application development.
Salesforce became ranked first in Fortune’s a hundred Best Companies to Work For in 2018 and second in 2019.
What does SFDC do?
Salesforce is a Customer Relationship Management (CRM) solution. It provides software, platform, infrastructure and manages the relationship between customer and company.
Okay, So now you might be wondering what is this CRM?
Customer Relationship Management (CRM) is a technology that helps a company to manage the relationships and build progressive interactions with customers. CRM provides tools, strategies to manage customer data, improve business by analytics, reporting, forecasting, etc. Salesforce is the no. #1 CRM platform and it provides solutions for Sales, Marketing, Service, Community, AI, and whatnot. Let us see what are the different products and services provided by SFDC.
Different Cloud features which SFDC provides
We know that business is changing fast. And in this digital age, everyone and everything connects today transforming the way we interact with the customers. SFDC provides cloud-based business entities that help to be in touch with people, partners, prospects.
It’s the world’s number one CRM platform enabling businesses to sale, service and market like never before. And it’s a customer success platform helping you to connect to customers in a whole new way.
Below are the main Cloud features which Salesforce provides:
- Sales Cloud: You will always have the information you need to close deals, collaborate and sell as a team. Also, how to manage contacts and track opportunities from the first contact to the final deal closure.
- Service Cloud: Helps to provide a world-class customer service experience, track customer activities across every channel from online to on-the-line. It also helps to increase productivity and solve issues fast keeping custom truly satisfied.
- Marketing Cloud: You can create a personalized client journey and powerful multi-channel marketing campaigns that generate leads and drive sales.
- Community Cloud: With Community cloud, you can create a vibrant, engaging platform that helps customers, partners, and employees to help themselves or each other.
- Analytics Cloud: Take quicker and smarter decisions with analytic clouds by turning big data into a big advantage by covering new insights and taking actions instantly from anywhere.
- App Cloud: You can build modern, employee and customer-facing apps that engage and excite, all within a secure, trusted and instantly mobile environment.
- IoT Cloud: You can connect all your data to the internet of things to the rest of the salesforce for better insights and real-time customer actions.
And because SFDC is cloud-based you can connect from anywhere using any device. You just need a phone and you can run your entire business.
I believe now you might have got a little idea of what is SFDC. What are the different features it has to boost the business experience of any company? How many companies do think would be using SFDC today for their business?
Just imagine the figure as around 83% of the fortune 500 companies use Salesforce today as their CRM.
Advantage of Salesforce over other CRM
There are countless benefits of using SFDC as a CRM solution. Let us see some of them.
Flexibility SFDC is highly flexible, You can use the functionality which comes out of the box or even configure the application based on your requirements.
Innovative One of the biggest advantages of using Salesforce CRM is it is highly innovative. Introduction of the concept of reusable components in Salesforce Lightning, IoT cloud, DevOps methodology, Artificial Intelligence Salesforce Einstein, Salesforce is continuously evolving.
Secured Salesforce.com utilizes some of the most advanced technology for Internet security available today. In addition, salesforce.com is hosted in a secure server environment that uses a firewall and other advanced technology to prevent interference or access from outside intruders. All customer data is backed up on tape on a nightly basis, up to the last committed transaction. Salesforce.com further enhances our reliability measures by storing all customer data on mirrored disks that are mirrored across different storage cabinets and controllers.
OOTB Apps We have discussed above all the cloud features which SFDC provides, In addition to it there are several applications present of AppExchange which can be used to support the business application. These AppExchange products could be free or licensed.
Easy to Manage Along with flexibility another great advantage of Salesforce is the ease of management. Even small scale companies could use it and make changes to the admin part without in-depth IT-knowledge. All the resources and Forums are available online for help.
Salesforce SaaS and PaaS
Technologies in Salesforce
Now that you have understood all the important aspects of SFDC, you might be wondering how does this powerful CRM work? Is it based on Java or .net.
Let us discuss some of the key technology running behind a Salesforce Application:
- Salesforce Lightning
- Apex is an object-oriented programming language developed by Salesforce.com. It is a strongly typed language that helps developers to execute flow and transaction control statements on the SFDC server in conjunction with calls to the Force.com API.
- The syntax is quite similar to Java. Apex codes can be invoked by even Web service requests as we as triggers on Object.
You can refer my Triggers in Salesforce for complete information on triggers.
- Advantages of Apex programming Language is:
- Easy to follow the code: Apex programming is very similar to Java in terms of expression, variable statements, conditional statements and very easy to understand the flow of the code.
- Easy to test the code: Apex provides inbuilt support for unit testing and code coverage making the code very efficient.
- Apex version: Apex programming language can be used with different versions of the API.
- Multitenant aware: Apex runs in a multi-tenant architecture and implements Apex runtime engine which makes sure nobody exploits shared resources.
- Rigorous: Apex is a strongly typed language that uses direct references to object and field names.
- Visualforce is a framework that allows developers to build amazing custom user interfaces. It uses a tag-based markup language, similar to HTML, and uses server-side “standard controllers” that handles database operations, such as queries and saves, very simple to perform.
- Visualforce tags can be used for sections of page, related list or fields. Developers can implement their own logic by using controllers.
Visualforce pages consist of controllers to implement business logic.
- Standard controllers
- Custom controllers
- Controllers extensions
- Standard Controllers:- Standard controllers are provided default by Force.com. Standard controllers will have the same logic and functionality used in standard visualforce pages.
Syntax :- <apex:page standardcontroller =”Account”></apex:page>
- Custom controllers:- Developer can create custom logic as per the business requirements without leveraging the standard controller.
Syntax :- <apex : page controller = “Testcontroller”></apex:page>
- Controller Extensions:- If we want to use both custom controller functionality and standard controller functionality we use extension controllers. Extensions can be visualised as use of standard controllers along with custom code.
Syntax :- <apex:page standardcontroller = “account” extensions = “Democlass1, Democlass2″></apex:page>
- Lightning includes the Lightning Component Framework and some awesome tools for developers. Lightning helps to build responsive applications for any device quite easily.
Lightning includes these technologies:
- Lightning components boost up development and app overall performance. Develop custom components that other developers and admins can use as reusable constructing blocks to personalize Communities, the Salesforce1 app, and Lightning Experience.
- Lightning App Builder Empowers admins to create Lightning pages visually, without code, using out of the box and custom-built Lightning components. Develop your Lightning component and admins can build custom interfaces without code.
- Community Builder Empowers admins to develop communities without writing any code with the help of Lightning templates and components. Make your Lightning component for community builders and admins can build community pages without code.
After reading this article you would also agree that Salesforce/SFDC is the CRM giant in the market today and it has a very bright future. The cloud services which SFDC provides and phenomenal and the services SaaS and PaaS has their immense impact on the popularity of Salesforce. Apex, Visualforce, Lightning are the greatest things to learn today if you want to pursue your career as a Salesforce Developer.
Do let me know in the comments if you liked this article and what features according to you makes SFDC the number 1 CRM in the world today.